I’m an avid Trader Joe’s fan and of course I enjoy going to Costco just as much. So it’s no surprise that most of the ingredients for this wonton soup are either from Trader Joe’s or Costco, with the exception of the rice vinegar, which I purchased at a local Korean grocery store.
The frozen wontons, chicken stock, and the soy sauce (refill) are from Costco. Everything else, minus the rice vinegar, are from Trader Joe’s. And don’t get me going on their frozen crushed garlic: They are just SO convenient and easy to use, and the same goes for their shredded carrots.
So it’s been cold here in the Bay area (as cold as it can get here in Nor Cal) and I have been craving a lot of hot soup to warm me up. This is such a quick and satisfying soup that I have been making it quite often and just made some tonight to go with some fried rice (when husband’s not home for dinner, I like to keep dinner quick and easy). It can definitely stand on it’s own for a lunchtime meal and makes enough for myself and my 3 little musketeers. I originally got this recipe from my favorite book “The I Love Trader Joe’s Cookbook” (which I scored from my local library’s used bookstore for $2) and made some tweaks to suit our taste buds and has been and will continue to be my quick go-to soup. Try it! You won’t be disappointed!
- 1 quart (about 4 cups) chicken stock or broth
- 2 cubes of Trader Joe’s frozen crushed garlic (or 2 cloves garlic minced)
- 1 TB light soy sauce
- scant 1 TB rice vinegar
- chicken cilantro wontons (fully cooked, frozen from Costco) (about 2-3 handfuls)
- handful of shredded carrots (Trader Joe’s)
- quartered (or halved) baby bok choy
- 2-3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Add chicken stock, garlic, soy sauce, and vinegar in a medium pot and bring it to a boil
- Add the frozen wontons, bring to boil, then simmer until ready
- Put in a handful of shredded carrots and the baby bok choy and simmer until tender.
- Remove from heat and add the sliced green onions and the sesame oil
- Serve hot and enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Quick Chicken Wonton Soup”
Love the recipe! So easy to make and the kids loved it! Thanks for sharing
I'm so glad ! Great that the kids loved it ! They're usually my measure for mealtime success.